Create and Send a Quote with Digital Invoicing
How to create, and send a Quote within the FastSpring App
When Quote Management is enabled in your Store, you can create and manage customized quotes for prospective customers within the FastSpring App. Each quote has a unique Quote ID and link associated with it, allowing you to track the purchase process, and make updates in real time. Additionally, you can:
- Apply a VAT ID for VAT-exempt customers.
- Add products from your store catalog and configure customized pricing for each one.
- Support coupons, product-level discounts, volume discounts, and ad-hoc discounts.
- Set quote expiration, payment, and fulfillment terms for individual Quotes.
- Add custom notes for your prospects.
- Configure custom tags.
When a Quote is created, copy the link from the details page to send the Quote to your prospect. When they click on the link, they will see a quote similar to the one pictured.
The quote's language and currency are automatically localized based on the country and currency specified on it. Prospects can click the language selector in the top right corner to view the quote in their language of choice. This does not affect the taxes or currency applied.
After the prospect accepts the quote, an order is generated in your FastSpring store. When they complete the payment process, they receive the fulfillment, as configured in your store.
Create a Quote
As long as the quote is in the Open status, you can make changes, which will automatically reflect on the quote. You do not have to resend the link to the prospect.
- In the FastSpring App, navigate to Sales > Quotes and select Create Quote. The quote configuration page appears.
- In the Quote Name field, add an internal-facing name for the Quote. This is only used for searching and organizational purposes; it is not visible to the consumer.
- In the Recipient Information dialog, enter the customer’s Name and Email. If applicable, add the prospect’s VAT ID. All of these fields will be applied to the checkout page when they accept the quote.
- The Address, Company Name, and Phone Number fields are optional on quote creation, but may be required to accept the quote. (This is configurable within Storefront Settings for the default B2B Popup Storefront.)
If you add full address information to the quote, FastSpring will automatically calculate the tax and display it on the quote. Otherwise, taxes will be added during checkout. For tax-exempt US citizens, the prospect can apply their US Tax-Exempt ID during checkout to remove taxes. This will automatically reflect in the invoice.
Add Products and Pricing
- In the Products section, set the Currency that the quote will be displayed in. The consumer will be required to pay in this currency. The quote currency can be changed at any time before the quote is accepted.
- Under Product Name, search by a product’s path or display name to add it to the quote. The Quantity and Price will be auto-filled based on how the product is configured in your store. These values can be overridden at the quote-level to differ from the pricing and quantity configured in your product catalog.
- Select + Add Product to repeat this step as needed.
- Optionally, select a preexisting Coupon Code to apply a discount to the Quote. Coupons will be displayed on the Quote as discounted pricing.
Add TermsIn the Terms field, configure the Terms and Conditions of your Quote for the prospect to abide by.
- Expiration Date - Select the number of days after the Quote is created that it should expire. The Expiration Date will display on the Quote. After it expires, the Quote will no longer be visible to the customer. The default value is 30 days but can be customized for your store.
- Net Terms - Select the number of days after the Quote is accepted that payment should be due. This date will be displayed on any invoice generated from the Quote, if applicable. The default value is 30 days but can be customized for your store.
- Fulfillment Terms - Choose whether the products should be delivered when payment is received (default), or when quote is accepted (regardless of payment status).
Add Notes and Custom Tags
- In the Notes field, the text automatically fills with the Store’s Default Notes. The contents of this field display on the quote for the consumer to see. When configuring the quote, you can edit the Notes for that individual quote. See Quote Settings below for more information.
- In the Custom Tags field, add any Tags that you want to pass from the quote to the Order.
- After you have fully configured the quote, click Create Quote. You will be redirected to the Quote’s details page.
Send a Quote
After you create a Quote, send it to the prospect by copying and pasting the URL.
- In the FastSpring App, navigate to Sales > Quotes. Click on the quote to access its details page.
- Under Quote Link, click Copy Link. The link is copied to your clipboard.
- Paste the link in an email to the prospect. If you make edits to the quote, they will automatically reflect in this link.
After the prospect accepts the Quote, they have the option to generate an invoice or pay. This moves the quote to either Pending Payment or Completed; no further changes can be made to it. If they generate an invoice, the order will appear in your Store’s Orders page under Awaiting Payment. If they pay immediately, the order will appear in your main Orders list.
To customize your Quote Settings, navigate to Settings > Invoicing. From there, you can:
- Enable / Disable Quote Management - Enable Quote Management to display the Quotes page within the Sales section on the left menu, from which you can create and manage B2B quotes. This also enables prospects to request a quote at checkout. Note that this feature must still be enabled on the individual Storefront(s) that you want to support this functionality. When disabled, these features will be hidden.
- Default Expiration (Number of Days) - Enter the default expiration period to be assigned to new quotes. This value will be auto-filled into the Expiration Date field of new quotes, however you can modify it within the quote.
- Default Notes (free text) - Add default notes that are automatically applied to each new Quote. This is a great place to add your standard terms and conditions. This text will be auto-filled into the Notes field when creating a new quote, but can be modified before quote creation.