Customer Information, Accounts and Single Sign-On
This article explains the concept of customer accounts in your FastSpring store, and provides strategies for managing them.
Every purchase, subscription, and charge in FastSpring is associated with a customer account. Usually created automatically after the first order, customer accounts are tied to your Store and contain all customer activity and stored payment methods (if applicable).
Each customer account has a unique account ID. You can obtain the account IDs by subscribing to the account.created or order.completed webhook events. You can use the account ID to query FastSpring for account details or obtain all the customer's orders and subscriptions.
Creating and Retrieving Account Information
You can use the FastSpring API to retrieve, create, or update the known customer information associated with an account. The information that can be associated with the account includes the first name, last name, email address, phone number, and company. It does not include payment details. You can also pass a custom "user ID" that you have assigned to the customer on your website. For example, this may be a user ID the customer has created for logging in. The API and webhooks return the custom user ID, so you can store an association between the FastSpring account ID and your own account ID. To update account information, use the server API /accounts endpoint along with the account ID you stored when the customer placed the subscription order. See more information about Applying Customer Information to the order.
There are two ways to obtain FastSpring Account ID for a customer:
- Pre-create an account before submitting an order using the /accounts endpoint of the API
- Capture account data (including ID) by subscribing to the account.created webhook event
At a later date, you can also retrieve the account ID associated with any order or subscription by making a call to the corresponding API endpoint using an order ID or subscription ID. A subsequent call to the /accounts endpoint can get you the account details.
Information Stored with the Customer Account
- The customer's first and last name along with their street address (if collected), email address, phone number, country, and preferred language are stored as part of the account data.
- If you pass a custom "user ID" when creating the account, it is also stored along with the account information, and you can retrieve it through the API.
- Optionally, secure tokens representing a specific customer's payment accounts are also stored by FastSpring whenever a customer purchases a subscription. You can allow the customer to opt out of having FastSpring save the payment details. If the customer so chooses, the result is a manual renewal subscription.
Payment Details Associated with Customer Accounts
FastSpring does not store actual credit card numbers and other credit card details. Instead, a "payment token" for credit cards, PayPal, and other payment methods that support this feature is stored. FastSpring stores the payment token along with the customer account information if both of the following are true:
- The order contains one or more subscription products (including managed subscriptions)
- The checkbox labeled Securely save payment details for automated subscription renewal was either not presented or was selected at the time the order was placed (see Manual Renewal Subscriptions for more details).
FastSpring does not share the payment information with anyone, including you. It is only accessible via account management, and only the last four digits of a card number appear there.