Creating a Cross-sell with a Product Offer
Create a cross-sell offer on a product.
Use Product Offers in FastSpring to display additional cross-sell suggestions when a customer selects a product to purchase.
- Set up the initial/driving product and the accompanying cross-sell products in your Store.
- If you use a Popup Storefront, the optional cart can display cross-sell offers. However, no more than ten products can appear as cross-sell offers via the Popup Storefront cart. Also, if you offer more than one cross-sell group for the items in the cart, only the Display text from the first group appears in the Popup cart.
Best Practices with Cross-Sells
A cross-sell suggestion should be related to the selected item so that the customer chooses to buy more than the production they initially select.
Avoid offering cross-sell products that increase the overall order total by more than 25%, offering cross-sell products that are unfamiliar to customers, or offering too many cross-sell products. Any of these scenarios may overwhelm customers and decrease your overall conversion rates. Cross-selling tends to work best when cross-sell products are a maximum of half the price of the original product and are offered on lower-priced products. Consider products that work well together for cross-sell suggestions.
Create a Cross-Sell Offer
- From the FastSpring App, select the Products menu and then select Products, Bundles, or Subscriptions according to the type of product for which you want to create a cross-sell offer.
- Select the product, bundle, or subscription that is to trigger the cross-sell offer when selected by a customer.
- In the Related Offers section of the product details, click Add New > Add Product Offer.
- In the Add Product Offer window, keep the the Cross-sell radio button selected.
- In the Display field, enter an optional message to appear along with the cross-sell offer. Click the language drop-down menu and enter a translated message in each desired language.
- Some suggestions for the Display field include "We Also Recommend," "May We Suggest," and "Frequently Bought Together."
- The Placement field is only applicable when you offer more than one cross-sell group for the same product, bundle, or subscription. You can use the Placement field to control the sequence in which the cross-sell groups appear on the Web Storefront. Position #1 would be the topmost among all cross-sell offers; Position #2 would come next, and so on. When you are setting up the first cross-sell offer for a product, only Position #1 is available in this field.
- In the Products field, begin typing the title of the product that to appear as a cross-sell offer. You can specify an original product or a product variation (e.g., if you want to offer a discount to motivate customers to add the cross-sell item). Search results instantly appear just under the Products field and are updated each time you type a character.
- Select the product from the drop-down search results below the field. You can repeat this process to add additional products as cross-sell offers.
NoteIf you select a product variation that uses a reduced price to motivate customers to accept the cross-sell offer, you might want to prevent the reduced-priced item from being purchased by itself. To ensure that this cannot happen, select an item that has a status of . That way, if a customer removes the current, cross-sell triggering product from the cart, the reduced-price item is also removed automatically.
- You can also click Remove if you make a mistake or need to change the product to you are offering as a cross-sell.
- If you select the Pre-selected checkbox next to the product, the cross-sell item will be added to the cart automatically when a customer selects the product you are editing. Doing this would increase the order subtotal to include both the product you are editing and the cross-sell product. Customers would have to click Remove if they do not want to purchase the cross-sell item.
- Click Save to complete the process.
After you set up a cross-sell offer, it will appear on your Web Storefronts whenever a customer selects the product.
To control the placement of the cross-sell offerings on Web Storefront, navigate to Storefronts > Web Storefronts > Settings (for your selected Storefront) > Promotions.