Increase Revenue by Creating a Cross-sell
This article explains how to create a cross-sell offer on a product.
This article teaches you how to create a cross-sell offer on a product. The article assumes that you have already set up the initial/driving product and the accompanying, cross-sell products in your Store.
Best Practices with Cross-Sells
A cross-sell is an offer that you make to your customers who have selected one of your products. When a customer selects a product, you can present the customer with an offer for an additional product (perhaps something related to the selected item), to motivate the customer to buy more than one item.
Avoid offering cross-sell products that increase the overall order total by more than 25%, offering cross-sell products that are unfamiliar to customers, or offering too many cross-sell products. Any of these scenarios may overwhelm customers and decrease your overall conversion rates. Cross-selling tends to work best when cross-sell products are a maximum of half the price of the original product and are offered on lower-priced products. Natural bundling (such as offering batteries to go with an electronic device) is also an effective strategy.
Cross-sell offers tend not to work when the cross-sell products are more than half the price of the original product, or when the cross-selling is reversed (such as offering an electronic device to go with batteries).
Read on to learn about setting up cross-sell offers.
To Create a Cross-Sell Offer
- From the FastSpring App, select the Products menu and then select Products, Bundles, or Subscriptions according to the type of product for which you want to create a cross-sell offer.
- Select the product, bundle, or subscription that is to trigger the cross-sell offer when selected by a customer.
- In the Related Offers section of the product details, click Add New and then click Add Product Offer.
- The Add Product Offer popup window appears. The Cross-sell option is selected by default.
- In the Display field, you can optionally enter a marketing message to appear along with the cross-sell offer. You can optionally click the language drop-down selector and enter the message in each supported language. Some suggestions for the Display field include "We Also Recommend," "May We Suggest," and "Frequently Bought Together."
- The Placement field is only applicable when you offer more than one cross-sell group for the same product, bundle, or subscription. You can use the Placement field to control the sequence in which the cross-sell groups appear on the Web Storefront. Position #1 would be the topmost among all cross-sell offers; Position #2 would come next, and so on. When you are setting up the first cross-sell offer for a product, only Position #1 is available in this field.
- In the Products field, begin typing the title of the product that to appear as a cross-sell offer. You can specify an original product or a product variation (e.g., if you want to offer a discount to motivate customers to add the cross-sell item). Search results instantly appear just under the Products field and are updated each time you type a character.
- Select the product from the drop-down search results below the field. You can repeat this process to add additional products as cross-sell offers.
- You can also click Remove if you make a mistake or need to change the product to you are offering as a cross-sell.
- If you select the Pre-selected checkbox next to the product, the cross-sell item will be added to the cart automatically when a customer selects the product you are editing. Doing this would increase the order subtotal to include both the product you are editing and the cross-sell product. Customers would have to click Remove if they do not want to purchase the cross-sell item.
NoteIf you select a product variation that uses a reduced price to motivate customers to accept the cross-sell offer, you might want to prevent the reduced-priced item from being purchased by itself. To ensure that this cannot happen, select an item that has a status of . That way, if a customer removes the current, cross-sell triggering product from the cart, the reduced-price item is also removed automatically.
- Click Save to complete the process. The Related Offers section now shows a Cross-sell field, as shown below. You can click Edit to edit the offer.
Once you have completed setting up a cross-sell offer, it will appear on your Web Storefronts whenever a customer selects the product. Here is an example of the cross-sell offer that we set up above:
You can control the placement of the cross-sell offerings on the pages of your Web Storefront by accessing Storefronts > Web Storefronts > Settings (for your selected Storefront) > Promotions.