Increase Revenue by Creating an Upsell
This article teaches you how to create an upsell offer on a product.
This article teaches you how to create an upsell offer on a product. The article assumes that you have already set up the initial/driving product and the accompanying upsell product in your Store.
Best Practices with Upsells
An upsell is an offer that you make to your customers who have selected one of your products. When a customer selects a product, you can present the customer with an offer for a more expensive item to replace the one chosen by the customer. The goal is to motivate the customer to buy the more expensive item instead of the original one.
Avoid offering upsell products that increase the overall order total by more than 25%, offering upsell products that are unfamiliar to customers, or offering too many upsell products. Any of these scenarios may overwhelm customers and decrease your overall conversion rates.
Upselling tends to work best when there is a relatively small difference in price between the original product and the upsell product. Ideally, the upsell product should have the same features and brand as the original product, and the upsell product should be a full substitute for the original product. Upselling tends not to work when the main features of the upsell do not match the original product and when the main advantage of the upsell (compared to the chosen product) is unclear.
Keep reading to learn how to create an upsell on a product.
To Create an Upsell Offer
- From the Dashboard, select the Products menu and then select Products, Bundles, or Subscriptions according to the type of product for which you want to create an upsell offer.
- Click the tile of the product, bundle, or subscription that is to trigger the upsell offer when selected by a customer.
- At the lower left-hand corner of the product's details, click ADD PRODUCT OFFER.
- The Add Product Offer popup window appears. Select the Up-sell option.
- In the Display field, you can optionally enter a marketing message to appear along with the upsell offer. You can optionally click the language drop-down selector and enter the message in each desired language. Some suggestions for the Display field include "Take Advantage of This Special Offer," "Consider an Upgrade," and "May We Suggest").
- The Placement field is only applicable when you offer more than one upsell or cross-sell item for the same product, bundle, or subscription. You can use the Placement field to control the sequence of upsell offers on the Storefront when you offer more than one upsell. Position #1 would be the topmost upsell offer; Position #2 would come next, and so on. When you are setting up the first upsell offer for a product, only Position #1 is available in this field.
- In the Products field, begin typing the title of the product that to be offered as an upsell. The product can be an original product or a product variation (e.g., if you want to offer a discount to motivate customers to accept the upsell offer). Search results instantly appear just under the Products field and are updated each time you type a character.
- Select the product from the drop-down search results below the field. You can repeat this process to add additional products as upsell offers. You can also click Remove if you make a mistake or need to change the product you are offering as an upsell.
- Click SAVE to complete the process. The Up-sell field now appears on the product detail page, as shown below. You can click anywhere on that line to edit the offer.
Once you have completed setting up an upsell, the offer will appear on your Storefronts whenever a purchaser selects the product. Here is an example of the upsell that we set up above:
You can control the placement of the upsell offerings on the pages of your Storefront can by accessing Storefronts > Web Storefronts > SETTINGS (for your selected Storefront) > Promotions.