This article explains how to search, create, and maintain product records.
The Products menu in the FastSpring App lets you manage products, bundles, and subscriptions. You can set up volume discounts and other types of discounts (e.g., for a temporary seasonal promotion), as well as cross-sell and upsell offers, product options, and product fulfillment methods for each product.
When you choose the Products menu in the FastSpring App, the Products tab is selected by default.
With the Products tab selected, you can see a list of all the single-purchase products that exist in your Store. Bundles and subscription products are on separate tabs.
The Filter field at the top right-hand corner of the page lets you search the list of products, and you can sort the list by clicking any column heading.
The Filter field lets you filter the list to include only products matching the specified product ID, Display name (in English), Price or Created date, including any product variations. The search is case-insensitive and does not support wildcards. As you type the search criteria, the list is automatically filtered in real-time with each keystroke.
Please click a link to jump to the corresponding section of this document.
- To Create a Product
- To Edit a Product
- To Access Product-Specific Links
- To Delete a Product
- To Access Product Variations
To Create a Product
There are two ways to create a product record via the FastSpring App:
- If you want to re-use some or all of the configuration for a product you have already set up, you can copy an existing product.
- If you need to create a product from scratch, skip the section of this document titled "To Copy an Existing Product" and start with "To Create a New Product Record."
To Copy an Existing Product
- From the Products tab, click the product you want to copy.
- On the product detail page, click Options near the top right-hand corner of the page, and then select Copy Product.
- In the New Product ID field, enter a product path/product ID for the new product. Do not include spaces or punctuation. The product ID is used to reference the product internally, and it is also included in the URL for the Product Page.
- In the Display field, enter a product title/display name for the new product. The name entered here will appear on the Product Page or wherever the product appears in your Storefront. This field is also sometimes called the display name. You can change the title later if need be. You can optionally click the language drop-down and enter the product title in each desired language.
- Click Copy.
To Create a New Product Record
- Click Create Product near the top right-hand corner of the Products tab. The Create Product window appears.
- In the field labeled Product Title displayed to the customer, enter a product title to appear on the Product Page or wherever the product appears in your Storefront. This field is also sometimes called the display name. You can change the title later if need be. You can optionally click the drop-down for the language selector and enter the product title in each desired language.
- In the Product Path field, a default value is automatically created based on the product title. The product path is also sometimes called the product ID. You can override the product ID at this time if desired. However, you cannot modify the product ID once the product has been saved (except by copying the existing product to a new product ID). The product ID cannot contain spaces, punctuation, or certain special characters. The product ID is used to reference the product internally, and it is also included in the URL for the Product Page.
CautionThe product path/product ID must be longer than two characters in length. If the value in this field is shorter than two characters, an error message will be displayed when you click Create, and you will need to start the over at step 1.
- In the Price field, enter a price for the product. You can enter different prices for different currencies here. You will be able to change the price and create more advanced pricing structures later, after saving the new product. For more information, please see Product Price Settings.
- Click Create. The product detail page (where you can edit the product) appears.
To Edit a Product
When you have completed the initial setup of a product, or upon clicking the product in the list of products, the product detail page opens.
The following is a listing of the available product fields and their descriptions. Click the Edit button at the top right-hand corner of a section to edit any of the fields in that section.
- Public/Private - This drop-down selector (at the upper right-hand corner of the section) lets you control whether or not the product can be purchased as a standalone product. The selector is set to Public by default. If you click the drop-down and select Switch to Private, the product can only be purchased when offered as a product option of another product. Attempting to view the Product Page for a private product results in an "inaccessible" message. Also, the Checkout Links popup window for the product or Storefront does not show Live links for private products.
- Product Path - This field, also called the product ID, is used to identify the product record internally as well as in a Storefront URL for the Product Page. You cannot edit the product ID following product creation.
- Display - Edit the product title or display text to be shown for this product. You can optionally click the language drop-down and enter the product title in each desired language.
- Summary - Enter a brief description of the product in each language supported by your Store. This text appears on the Homepage and the product page in a Web Storefront. This field can accept a fairly long summary, but consider using the Long Description field below if you want to provide a large amount of text about the product. Note: This field accepts markdown.
- Icon - Click this field to upload a product image, such as a box shot or screenshot. Click Choose File and browse to and select an image file on your network or your local computer, and then click Save.
Notes About Product IconsThe supported image file formats are .png, .jpg and .gif. Web Storefronts can display an image file up to 256 x 256 pixels in size. The optional cart in Popup Storefronts can display images as large as 46 x 46. If the image you upload is too large or too small, the Storefront page automatically resizes it to fit within this space.
- Pricing - Click the Edit button in this section to specify the product price in each supported currency. You can also set options to control the quantity that customers can purchase.
- Discount - Click the Edit button here if you want to specify a product discount, including volume discounts (e.g., for a temporary promotion).
For more details about configuring product pricing (including discounts), please see Product Price Settings.
For information about defining subscription terms for subscrpition products, please see Subscription Pricing.
When entering product pricing, bear in mind that FastSpring can handle currency conversion automatically, and we also collect all applicable VAT, GST, or other transaction-related taxes. For more information about currencies, conversions and taxes, see Currencies, Conversions and Taxes.
In this context, the term fulfillment refers to the method or process by which customers receive the product or service. This may mean providing customers with a license key, a product download, or some other means of accessing a licensed product. It is crucial to configure appropriate fulfillment actions for each product. Customers must receive what they have paid for immediately upon completion of the purchase, or as soon as possible after that.
The Fulfillment section of the product detail page includes options to add fulfillment actions and change between a digital product, a physical product, or software as a service. If the product requires a physical shipment or is software as a service, see Product Format below.
- Click Add Fulfillment. The Add Fulfillment Action page opens.
- Select the radio button next to the fulfillment action you want to add, and then click Next.
- Send Email - (Uncommon) Selecting this option lets you instruct FastSpring to send a separate fulfillment email message to the customer in addition to the receipt. This option is maintained for legacy purposes and normally does not need to be used.
- Generate a License - Selecting this option allows you to provide a license key to the customer. Click Choose a generator... to see a list of the available generation methods and select a method.
- Provide a File Download - Selecting this option lets you upload a product file to be served to customers as a download upon completion of a purchase for this product.
- Create a Signed PDF - Selecting this option allows you to upload a PDF file that will be stamped by FastSpring with each customer's name and order information. The stamped PDF file will then be served to customers as a download upon completion of a purchase for this product.
- Follow the prompts to complete the configuration of the selected fulfillment action.
If the product requires a physical shipment or is software as a service, click Change Product Format. In the Change Format popup window, select the correct product format from the options listed. The product format can impact whether or not customers are required to enter a physical address when purchasing. It can also have implications regarding whether or not FastSpring is obligated to collect sales tax, VAT, or GST each time the product is sold; this also depends on the customer's location.
- Digital Product - For perpetual-license software products and other one-time transactions with no physical item to be shipped
- Digital Product and Shipment - For perpetual-license products that also include a physical component that you will ship to the customer (e.g., a boxed software product)
- Physical Shipment - For physical products that you will ship to the customer
- Software as a Service - For products that you provide as a service (e.g., web applications). Note: If you need to collect future recurring charges from the customer, stop and create a subscription instead of a standalone product.
Note About Physical ProductsWhen ordering a product with a format that includes a shipment, customers must enter a complete physical address for shipping as part of the purchase process.
The Related Offers section lets you set up promotional offers that appear when a customer selects this product. Click Add New and then select the type of related offer you want to create.
- Product Options are other products that appear below this product as additional offers or alternative products. Product options can present single-choice additional items or multiple-choice additional items. These are similar to cross-sells and upsells, but appear in a more compact format.
- Product Offers can be cross-sells or upsells. A cross-sell offer appears during the purchase process and encourages the customer to add additional related products to the order. By contrast, an upsell offer encourages the customer to replace the product currently in the cart with a more expensive one. Cross-sells and upsells can be shown in various locations on the page, depending on Storefront settings. The product icon, display name/product title, product summary, price, and any applicable discount appear in the offer.
The Advanced section lets you configure advanced options for the selected product. Click Edit to open the Edit Advanced Details dialog, and modify any of these properties.
- SKU - Optionally enter an internal product SKU ID or part number. The only purpose of this field is for identifying the product using your own system (e.g., using your own part number).
- Long Description - This field lets you provide additional text about the product in each supported language. This text can appear when a customer clicks on the product title or Display name in a Web Storefront. The contents of this field appear in a Lightbox that overlays the Product Page. Note: This field accepts markdown.
- EDS - The optional Extended Download Service (EDS) is enabled at the Store level. If it is enabled for your Store, then it is enabled by default for all products and subscriptions that have at least one file download fulfillment action. If the product does not have a download, this field does not appear. Similarly, if EDS is not enabled for your account, this field does not appear. If you want to disable EDS for this product only, clear the checkbox labeled Enable for this product. For more information about EDS, please see our Knowledge Base article Extended Download Service (EDS).
- Call to Action - By default, the product action button, which selects the product and adds it to the cart, is labeled Add. The Call to Action field lets you provide an alternative button label in each supported language. If you select this product as a product option of another product, the Call to Action text entered here will appear next to this product.
- Post Order Instructions - This field lets you provide text that will appear next to this product on the Completion Page, following a successful order. It is essential to enter instructions or information here so that customers know what to do next, following a completed purchase. For example, this text may include a description of how to download the software or register using the license key. You can optionally click the language drop-down and enter the information or instructions in each desired language. Note: This field accepts markdown.
- You can optionally include order and product variables and the "iff" comparison helper in this field in the same way you would edit a Customer Notification template.
- If you have added a fulfillment action to your product, you can click the drop-down next to Insert Fulfillment Variable and insert specific fulfillment actions into the message. For example, if you create a license key fulfillment action for the product, you can click the drop-down selector and choose that fulfillment action. The variables that are needed to render the license key will be inserted into the field at the cursor's current position, as illustrated in the example below:
NoteBy default, the Completion Page automatically displays license keys, download links, and PDF links. Likewise, these fulfillment actions are automatically be inserted directly into the email receipt as needed - separately from the Post Order Instructions. Therefore, if you decide to include fulfillment variables here, you might want to adjust the Customer Notification Template to prevent the information from being duplicated/appearing twice.
- This field accepts markdown, which you can use to apply bold, italics, and other font effects to the message. You can also include hyperlinks to external pages.
- You can optionally click the language drop-down and enter the information or instructions in each desired language.
Using the Options button at the top right-hand corner of the product detail page, you can access additional functions related to the selected product.
- Create Variations, which inherit the settings of their parent product but let you override individual settings as needed. The initial product is the "parent product," and the variations you create for that product are "child products." One example of using product variations is to test product discounts or for holiday-related offers. As another example, you can create a discounted product variation that can be offered as a cross-sell for a different product, to motivate customers to add additional items to their purchase.
NoteOnly one variation of any given product can be purchased in a single order. For example, if product A has variations A1 and A2, customers can purchase any of the three, but they could not purchase A and A1 in the same transaction, nor A1 and A2. For products to be included in the same order together, they must each be a separate product (not multiple product variations of the same product).
- Add Custom Attributes to the product. Attributes can be useful if you would like to pass additional information about the product that is invisible to the customer. Attributes do not appear in any reporting, but certain webhook events and responses to FastSpring API requests include them. (In addition to specifying custom attributes here, they can also be set or overridden for each purchase via the Store Builder Library or the FastSpring API.)
NoteThe sum of the number of characters entered for the Key and the Value of product attributes cannot exceed approximately 4,000.
To Access Product-Specific Links
When you want to find URLs for the selected product's product page in any Storefront, including testing URLs, click Checkout Links at the top right-hand corner of the page.
The Checkout Links dialog provides a variety of ways to link to the product, including the option to view the product in a Popup Storefront.
For more details, please see Linking to Product Pages.
To Delete a Product
Warning: Deleting a product record is permanent and cannot be reversed. Use caution when deleting a product.
- From the Products menu, click the product you want to delete.
- On the product detail page, click the Options drop-down menu at the top right and select Delete.
- Click OK when prompted to confirm that you want to delete the product.
To Access Product Variations
If you create product variations, you can access them via the drop-down selector at the top left-hand corner of the parent product's details page. The selector only appears if the product has one or more variations. Click the selector and then choose the variation you want to view or edit, or click Show All.
If you select Show All, the product detail page displays a separate section for each product variation, below the Advanced section of the parent product's details.