This article explains how to process returns and refunds and provide's FastSpring's policies regarding refunds and chargebacks.
To refund an order, log in to the Dashboard for the Store where the order was processed. A search box appears.
Use the Order Search to find the order you want to refund.
Enter the order information and then press Enter or Return on your keyboard to execute the search.
Order Search Criteria
Order and subscription searches are case insensitive, and you can search for an order by entering any of the following:
- An exact order reference number (e.g., YOU200220-7481-39118)
- A customer's full email address (e.g., email@example.com)
- A customer's email domain name, beginning with the @ sign (e.g., @abc.com)
- A customer's exact last name (e.g., Anderson) Note: You cannot search by a customer's full name.
- The beginning letters (at least four letters, followed by *) of a customer's last name (e.g., ande*)
- The customer's exact company name (e.g., FastSpring)
- The beginning letters (at least four letters, followed by *) of a company name (e.g., Fast*)
- For credit card orders, the last 4 digits of the credit card number (e.g., 4321)
It takes under a minute to refund an order. After you have found the order you want to refund, click Return/Refund Order in the Payments and Returns section of the order details.
Select the Return Type.
- A Full Return refunds the entire order's purchase price.
- A Line Item Return lets you choose one or more lines from the original order to be fully refunded, without affecting the other lines.
- A Partial Amount Refund refunds a portion of the original price of an order. As an example, suppose a customer notifies you that she forgot to enter a coupon code during the order process. (Note: Enter the refund amount before/without sales tax, VAT or GST. FastSpring calculates and refunds applicable taxes automatically (based on the value entered).
Complete the Reason and Notification section of the refund process.
- Choose the Reason Type from the drop-down menu.
- Optionally, enter a Reason Note to provide additional information about the refund, which will be visible to the customer. The maximum length of the Reason Note is 250 characters.
- Under Customer Notification, choose whether or not you want to send your customer an email notification about the refund. The default value is Notify Original Contact, which means FastSpring will send the customer an email message.
On the next page, review the return details. If the order you are returning included a subscription product, the Cancel Related Subscriptions checkbox (not pictured) is selected by default. If you want to leave the subscription active despite the refund, click to unselect this checkbox. If everything is correct, click CONFIRM. Should you need to change anything, click OPTIONS and select Cancel from the drop-down menu.
Once you click CONFIRM, a pop-up appears notifying you that returns are not reversible. Click OK to confirm the return again.
Order Refund Policy and Chargebacks
Refunds decisions are at the discretion and internal policy of Sellers. When we receive a refund request from a customer, we usually direct the request to Seller support contact so that Sellers handle refund requests. Generally speaking, the only time that we refund an order without consulting you is when a customer who has purchased with a credit card contacts us about a fraudulent charge. In this case, we refund the order to prevent a chargeback. Credit card refunds can generally be done up to six months after an order, but PayPal has a 90-day refund limit.
Chargebacks are different than refunds. A chargeback is a return of funds to a cardholder, forcibly initiated by the card's issuing bank. The cardholder signs an affidavit with their credit card provider claiming they did not make the purchase. The card's issuer then notifies FastSpring of the return of funds after-the-fact; a chargeback is not a request.
Refunds with Split Accounts
In a situation where you have a split account, your partner takes a certain percentage of the sales or a certain percentage of the revenue that remains after the FastSpring fee. We often get asked what happens when a refund occurs in this circumstance. To answer this question, are two different examples, based on the way you have asked us to set up your split accounts.
Option 1: Fixed Percent of Sale Price
Let us say that the customer paid $100 for your product and that your partner gets a 70% split. $100 goes into your account, and then part of it comes out for the FastSpring fee. For the sake of this example, suppose the FastSpring fee was $5.00. (Your actual fees may vary.) So $5.00 would come out of the $100 order, leaving your account with $95.00. Then your partner's 70% split would be deducted next and paid into their account; that is, ($100 x 0.70), or $70. This would leave ($95 - $70), or $25, credited to your account.
If there is a full refund, the $70 is removed from your partner's account and put back into your account. FastSpring returns the $100 from your account to the customer and retains the order fee.
Option 2: Fixed Percent of the Revenue
Let us say that the customer paid $100 for your product and that your partner gets a 70% split. $100 goes into your account, and then part of it comes out for the FastSpring fee. For the sake of this example, suppose the FastSpring fee was $5.00. (Your actual fees may vary.) So $5.00 would come out of the $100 order, leaving $95.00. Then your partner's 70% split would be deducted next and paid into their account; that is, ($95 x 0.70), or $66.50. This would leave ($95 - $66.50), or $28.50, credited to your account.
If there is a full refund, the $66.50 is removed from your partner's account and put back into your account. FastSpring returns the $100 from your account to the customer and retains the order fee.
Refunds for Bank Transfers
Typically, bank transfers are not refundable, but there are alternate ways FastSpring can refund the order.
- If the customer has a PayPal account, we can create a manual refund through PayPal. This is the easiest option.
- If the customer does not have a PayPal account, there are two options:
- We can send the customer a USD check. If the customer is outside of the United States, before sending the check, we need to verify that the customer can deposit it. There is a $10 fee for sending a check, which we deduct from the refund amount.
- We can send the customer a bank transfer manually. There is a $30 fee for a manual bank transfer, which we deduct from the refund amount.