Customer-Facing Email Notifications
Customizable email notifications that FastSpring sends to your customers following a successful purchase
After a customer completes a purchase in your Store, FastSpring automatically sends them emails containing information about their purchase (such as order receipts, notifications of subscription activity, and account management login links) from firstname.lastname@example.org. These notifications may differ depending on how you customize them in the App.
In the FastSpring App, navigate to Store Settings in the applicable Storefront. From there, you can customize email settings, including:
- Reply-to address
- From Name
- Email System
To further customize the emails that your customers receive, select the New Email System template to edit the template that FastSpring sends.
As the Merchant of Record, FastSpring may be required to send certain notifications to consumers. If there are special circumstances in which you need to suppress an email that FastSpring sends out, contact our Support team.
For recurring payments and trials that will end soon, FastSpring sends payment reminders to the customers 3 days prior to the due date. For more information, see Payment Reminder and Trial Reminder.
FastSpring does not send email reminders for wire and invoice transactions. Customers receive an initial Payment Required email with instructions to complete the payment.
Generate Your Own Email
In rare cases, additional information may be needed in the Post Order Instructions field of a Product or Subscriptions. In such cases, it is useful to subscribe to the order.completed and subscription.charge.completed webhook events. Then, you can design a script to parse the event data and automatically generate email messages to the consumers.
To learn how to customize email templates, see Customer Notifications.
- Charge Completed - sent following a successful charge on a subscription, such as a scheduled monthly payment
- Charge Failed - sent following a declined or failed charge on a subscription, such as a scheduled monthly payment
- Default Order Receipt - sent following a successful purchase. By default, the message contains all receipt information and fulfilment details. You can edit this by going to Settings > Customer Emails and selecting the Default Order Receipt.
- Default Gift Purchaser Receipt - sent to the purchaser of a Gift Purchase following a successful order
- Default Gift Recipient Fulfillment - sent to the recipient of a Gift Purchase following a successful order
- Login URL - sent when a consumer visits the Account Management site on your Storefront and requests a secure login link
- Order Pending Approval - sent to a buyer who has submitted a Purchase Order when the Require Approval configuration option has been set for purchase orders in the Store
- Order Canceled - sent to a buyer when Purchase Orders are enabled for you account with the Require Approval configuration, and you cancel the buyer’s pending Purchase Order
- Payment Required for the Order - sent to a buyer following the submission of an order that requires a manual payment, such as a wire transfer order. This is not a recurring email.
Subscription Email Templates
- Default Order Receipt - sent following a new subscription purchase, containing details of both the transaction and the subscription.
- Subscription Activated - sent following a new subscription purchase, containing information about the subscription, including the payment schedule, next payment date, and next payment amount. FastSpring sends this email in addition to the Order Receipt email message.
- Subscription Canceled - sent when a subscription has been canceled. Cancellation does not always imply deactivation of the subscription. For example, if the consumer cancels a subscription via Account Management, the subscription is not deactivated until the next payment date.
- Subscription Deactivated - sent following the deactivation of a subscription. Deactivation can occur upon reaching the next payment date for a subscription that a consumer canceled. It can also occur if you cancel a subscription via the FastSpring App and choose
- Subscription Updated - sent after you update a subscription via the FastSpring App or the FastSpring API. This is not sent if the consumer updates the payment method via Account Management.
- Trial Reminder - sent before the expiration of a subscription’s optional free trial period. It is typically sent three days prior to the first payment.
- Payment Overdue - optionally sent following a declined or failed charge on a subscription when the payment is past due. You can control the timing and number of these optional messages via the Pricing field of the subscription product.
- Payment Reminder - optionally sent before a scheduled subscription charge. You can control the timing of these optional messages via the Pricing field of the subscription product.
For subscriptions with free trial periods longer than 3 days, FastSpring automatically sends the consumer a reminder message before the initial charge to the consumer's payment account.
For subscriptions with recurring charges, you can control if and when FastSpring sends pre-billing reminder messages. For more information, see Subscription Pricing.