How to create, edit, and manage coupons to generate promotional discounts for your consumers.
Coupons allow sellers to offer a promotional product discount to a select group of consumers. Only consumers with the coupon code (or promotional code) can take advantage of the offer.
With Coupons, you can:
- Reduce the price of one or more products
- Schedule automatic start and end dates
- Incorporate a consumer-facing message for the discount
- Track the effectiveness of marketing campaigns via reporting
- Limit availability to specific consumers who know the coupon code
- Apply it to recurring subscription charges
- Require the consumer to enter a promotional code
To use a coupon, consumers must enter a valid coupon ID in the Promotional Code field of your Storefront. You can also apply coupons to order sessions using the Store Builder Library or the FastSpring API.
Create a Coupon
Using coupons, you can discount percentages or amounts to limited consumers who have the code. The discount calculation will apply to all quantities of eligible products selected by consumers. For example, if you specify 20% off and the consumer purchases three products with this coupon (or three of the same), the 20% discount applies to all three. Similarly, if you creat a coupon with a $10 Amount Off, and a consumer purchases 3 of that product, they will receive a total of $30 off their order.
- From the FastSpring App, select the Coupons menu, then Create Coupon. The Create Coupon dialog appears.
- In the Coupon ID field, enter an ID to be used in reporting. This does not need to be a part of the coupon code that consumers enter. This field accepts letters, numbers, dashes, and underscores.
- In the drop-down, select the type of coupon you want to apply.
- Percent Off - Enter a discount percentage up to 100%
- Amount Off - Specify a specific monetary amount to discount with this coupon. Optionally, enter the amount in each currency supported by your Store.
- Under Coupon Codes which will trigger the discount, provide the code(s) that consumers must enter in order to receive the discount. If you provide multiple codes, separate them by line. This field is case sensitive, and accepts: letters, numbers, dashes, and underscores.
- You can create one code for all consumers to use, or multiple separate codes. By default, FastSpring will accept the codes provided in this field an unlimited number of times.
- To limit how many times consumers use the coupon, edit the coupon and enter a value in the Limit Coupon by Number of Uses field.
- Click Add to create the coupon. After it is created, you can edit additional aspects of it.
Edit a Coupon
- From the FastSpring App, select the Coupons menu.
- In the card of the coupon you want to edit, click Edit Discount.
- The Edit Discount dialog appears. Use this to adjust additional settings.
- Amount / Percent Off - adjust these fields to update the discount amount or type. The discount will default to the most recently saved value.
- Discount Duration - If your coupon applies to Subscriptions, use this field to specify the number of billings that receive the discount. You must enter 1 for the initial transaction to be discounted and all following billings to be regular price. By default, this field is “unlimited” which means the coupon will apply to all future billings.
- Combine Discounts - Selecting this checkbox allows for the coupon to be applied to an already discounted product. Clear the checkbox if you do not want the discount to apply when a product-level discount is in effect.
- Applied Discount Reason - Enter a consumer-facing message for the discount. Click the language drop-down to enter the reason in additional languages.
- Limit Coupon By Number of Uses - Select this checkbox to specify how many times each coupon code can be used for this coupon ID. If you enter 1, FastSpring will only accept each code a single time. If this checkbox is not selected, each code can be used an unlimited number of times.
- This only applies to orders with coupons that occur after you save the change.
- Test orders do not count against usage limitations.
- Limit Promotion Availability by Dates - Select the checkbox specify a date range in which the coupon is accepted. FastSpring will not accept coupons before the Start Date and Time or after the End Date and Time. If you choose not to enter dates, the coupon will be available indefinitely.
- Products - Restrict the discount to specific Products, Bundles, or Subscriptions. By default, FastSpring applies the discount to all products in the order, however this field lets you limit the items to which it applies.
- Extended Download Service - Select the checkbox to prevent the coupon from applying to the Extended Download Service fee.
- Shipping Fee - Select the checkbox to prevent the coupon from applying to the shipping fee.
Manage Codes for an Existing Coupon
When you access your existing Coupons in the FastSpring App, navigate to the card of the coupon for which you want to manage codes. Then, select one of the following buttons:
- View Codes - View a list of all remaining valid coupon codes for this coupon, including the number of uses remaining for each.
- Add Codes - Add new coupon codes to this coupon. Characters are limited to letters, numbers, dashes, and underscores.
- Remove Codes - Specify coupon codes to be removed from this coupon. In future orders, these codes will not be accepted.
- Disabled Codes - View a list of all valid coupon codes (not deleted codes) that will no longer be accepted because the limit of their uses has been reached.
Delete a Coupon
- From the FastSpring App, select the Coupons menu.
- In the card of the coupon that you want to delete, click More > Delete.
- Click Delete when prompted to confirm that you want to delete the coupon.