Customer Information + Account Security
Data that is stored in your customer's FastSpring accounts, and how to retrieve information with the associated API and webhooks
Every transaction or rebill within your FastSpring store is associated with a customer account. These are typically generated after the first order from an unrecognized email address, and contain all information regarding customer activity and stored payment methods.
Each customer account has a unique Account ID. All subsequent orders in your Store containing that email address are automatically associated with that Account ID. You can obtain the Account ID by subscribing to account.created and order.completed webhook events, or use it to search for account details and obtain existing customer order information.
Information Stored in the Customer Account
The following information is associated with customer accounts:
- Customer Information - First and Last Name, Street Address (if collected at checkout), Email Address, Phone Number, Country, and Preferred Language are stored as part of the account data.
- Custom User ID - If you pass a customized Account ID when creating an account, FastSpring stores it with the associated customer information. You can use the API to retrieve it.
- Payment Tokens - If a customer has opted in to save their payment information, FastSpring tokenizes the information. Opting out of this changes their subscription to a Manual Renewal Subscription.
Payment Details Associated with a Customer Account
FastSpring does not store credit card, PayPal, or SEPA information. FastSpring tokenizes the information and stores it with the information customer account information provided the following is true:
- At least one Automatic or Managed Subscription is in the order
- The checkbox labeled Securely save payment details for automated subscription renewal was selected (or not presented) when a customer placed an order for a Manual Renewal Subscription.
FastSpring does not share stored payment information with anyone. Customers may see the last 4 digits of the credit card when logged in to their Account Management portal, however this is only accessible through the Account Management portal, and they cannot see more information.
Creating and Retrieving Customer Information
You can use the FastSpring API to retrieve, create, or update customer information associated with an existing account. This includes:
- First and Last Name
- Email address
- Phone number
Payment information is not included.
Create a New Account
You can create a customer User ID that you have associated with a customer on your website. For example, this can be the username used when logging in. After you pass the User ID, the API and webhooks return it, allowing you to store an association between a FastSpring Account ID and the account on your website.
Obtain a FastSpring Account ID
To obtain an existing FastSpring Account ID, use the associated Order ID or Subscription ID to make a call to the /accounts endpoint.
Alternatively, there are 2 ways to provide a customer with their FastSpring Account ID:
- Use the /accounts endpoint to create a new account before they submit an order.
- Subscribe to the account.created webhook to capture account data.
Update Account Information
Existing customer accounts can only be updated through the APi. To update account information, use the /accounts endpoint along with the Account ID you stored when the customer placed the subscription order. If you pass updated information (such as a new email address) when setting up an order with customer's Account ID, the updated information is disregarded. The order uses the customer account information on file.