Extended Download Service (EDS)
Extended Download Service (EDS) is an option for eligible product download expiration dates to be set to one year from the transaction date.
Extended Download Service (EDS) is an option you can offer to customers that extends the availability of their product downloads.
By default, a product with a download fulfillment action has an expiration date set to seven days from the transaction date. When a customer purchases EDS, eligible product downloads have an expiration date set to one year from the transaction date.
Enabling EDS for your account automatically enables it for each of your products that have a file download fulfillment action. You can choose to selectively disable EDS for a given product so that EDS is not offered when the product is the only item in the order.
- Enable EDS for your Store
- Disable EDS for a given product
- EDS and Popup Storefronts
- EDS and the Store Builder Library
FastSpring charges you a flat fee (currently $1.50) for the EDS service in addition to your standard order processing fee for each order and you control the price of the EDS service to your customers.
Advanced EDS Example
If a customer purchases EDS in an order containing two or more products, one of which has EDS disabled, only the product(s) for which EDS is enabled have download expiration dates extended by one year. For the product that has EDS disabled, the associated download uses your Store's default download duration.
EDS can be automatically added to the order or selected when a customer selects an eligible product. When this happens, customers can choose to remove EDS from the order. Alternatively, you can choose to have EDS presented as a separate offer that customers can click to accept.
Here's an example of how EDS might look when presented as a separate offer. You can provide your own title, icon, and description when setting up EDS.
Enable EDS for Your Store
A one-time setup process applies to all products with file download fulfillment actions, including products you add in the future.
Check out our guided walk-through
- In the FastSpring App, navigate to Integrations > Extensions > Extended Download Service.
- In the Extended Download Service setup window, click Setup.
- In the detailed Extended Download Service window, enter the price you want customers to pay for the EDS service in the Price for the customer field. You must enter the price in at least the base currency for your Store. You can optionally enter pricing in other currencies supported by your Store.
- The Fee field shows you the current fee that FastSpring charges you, the seller, for the EDS service in addition to your standard order processing fee.
- In the Title field, enter the title that you want to appear when EDS is offered or included in the cart on your Web Storefront. You can optionally click the language selector drop-down and enter the title in each supported language.
- In the Short description field, enter a description of the EDS service. You should enter a brief message designed to entice customers to add the service (if you do not automatically add it when an eligible product is selected). You can optionally click the language selector drop-down and enter the short description in each supported language. This field accepts markdown for rich text and other formatting.
- In the Long description field, you can optionally enter a longer description of the EDS service. This additional information appears when customers click the title entered in the Title field above. You can optionally click the language selector drop-down and enter the short description in each supported language. This field accepts markdown for rich text and other formatting.
- In the Icon field, optionally click Choose File and specify an image file for the product icon for EDS in your Web Storefront.
- In the Offer behavior field, click the drop-down and select the desired behavior for the EDS offer.
- Opt-Out: Default behavior for EDS to automatically be added to the order when the customer selects an eligible product. Customers can click to remove EDS from the order before completing the purchase.
- Opt-In: EDS is not added to orders automatically and appears as a separate offer that customers can accept to add it to the order.
- Click Enable. You can always return to this configuration popup window later and make changes via Integrations > Extensions > Extended Download Service.
Disable EDS for a Given Product
Disable EDS for a specific product so that EDS is not added to the order or offered when a customer selects the product.
- In the FastSpring App, navigate to the Products menu and select the product for which you want to disable EDS.
- Scroll down to the Advanced section and click Edit to open the Edit Advanced Details window.
- Scroll down to the Extended Download Service section, deselect the checkbox for Enable for this product, and click Save.
- Clear the checkbox labeled Enable for this product, and then click SAVE to save your change.
EDS and Popup Storefronts
The behavior of EDS when adding a product to the cart via a Popup Storefront depends on how you configure the Offer behavior field for EDS via Integrations > Extended Download Service.
- If the Offer behavior is set to Opt-Out, meaning that EDS is automatically selected along with the first eligible product, then EDS will already be in the order when you trigger the Popup Storefront checkout process. If you enable the optional Popup Storefront cart, the icon and product name you provided appear in the cart along with the other product display names.
- If the Offer behavior is set to Opt-In, meaning that EDS is not automatically selected along with the first eligible product, then EDS will not be present in the order when you trigger the Popup Storefront checkout. If you enable the optional Popup Storefront cart, customers can select EDS on the cart page.
EDS and the Store Builder Library
If you create a custom shopping cart using Store Builder Library functionality, you can control the behavior of EDS in the same way you would for any product cross-sell offer. The product path for the EDS product is SystemExtension.eds. You can find an example by inspecting the example SBL cart page at https://fastspringexamples.com/full-cart/modal-carts/.