Managing a Storefront
Table of Contents
- Offline Storefronts
- Online Storefronts
- Edit an Online Storefront
- Copy an Existing Storefront
In the FastSpring App, Storefronts are tagged with a green or gray indicator that they are Online or Offline. You can click this indicator to switch your Storefront on or offline.
New Storefronts are set to Offline by default. After you have fully configured a Storefront, you can switch it to Online, and place it on your website. This makes it accessible to your customers to purchase the products configured for that Storefront, and request quotes and invoices. Because of this, we recommend that you do not publish the Storefront until you have fully configured your Store.
However, you can still make changes after your Storefront is live. We recommend making an offline copy storefront, and then overriding the published Store with those settings. See Edit an Online Storefront for instructions.
When a storefront is set to Offline, it is in Test Mode, during which you can place and access test orders through the Storefront. Attempting to access the Live URL for an offline storefront results in a 404 (Not Found) error. In addition, Offline Storefronts:
- Contain test in the URL (yourexamplestore.test.onfastspring.com/holiday)
- Accept test orders
- Do not accept live orders from consumers
- Reflect changes immediately after you refresh because pages are not cached
- May have slower performance than Online Storefronts since pages are not cached
Default Storefronts remain offline until they are activated by FastSpring Support. We recommend finalizing all settings before activation, as it is simpler to test purchases and customize storefront settings when offline.
When a storefront is Online, your customers can make purchases and request quotes and invoices. To place test orders, you must navigate to the Test URL, as Live Storefronts do not accept them. Online Storefronts often have faster performance than Test Mode Storefronts.
Access a Web Storefront
- In the FastSpring App, navigate to Storefronts > Web Storefronts.
- On the applicable Storefront, click Links. A popup appears.
- In the popup, you are presented with a Live and a Test link for both the Homepage and Product Page. Select the link you wish to access. If you are placing a Test Order, make sure to select a Test link.
Access a Popup Storefront
With Popup Storefronts, it is easiest to navigate to your website to access the live link. To access the Test link:
- In the FastSpring App, navigate to Storefronts > Popup Storefronts.
- On the applicable Storefront, click Preview. The Test version of that Popup Storefront appears.
Edit an Online Storefront
To make changes to a Storefront that is live, we recommend copying the storefront to a new, Offline Storefront. To make sure consumers do not experience untested or incomplete changes, create a copy of the Storefront to modify for testing. When you are satisfied with the changes, overwrite the original Storefront with updates. This way, you do not need to take your Store offline, which would inhibit it from processing orders.
- In the FastSpring App, navigate to Storefronts. Select Web Storefronts or Popup Storefronts depending on the storefront you want to modify
- On the Storefront you want to change, click More > Copy. A popup appears.
- In the To New Storefront URL field, type a name for the temporary testing Storefront. The name can be anything since the changes will be made public in your Live Storefront.
- Do not click the drop-down selector in the To Existing Storefront field unless you want to replace an existing Storefront completely. After you have made and tested your changes, use this field to replace the original Storefront settings.
- Click Finish. All the settings are copied to the new Storefront.
- Apply changes to the newly created Storefront. Test the Copied Storefront until you are satisfied with the changes.
- In the Copied Storefront, click More > Copy. A popup appears.
- In the To Existing Storefront field, choose the Live Storefront you originally copied. This action completely replaces all settings for the original Storefront with the modified settings of the copied Storefront.
- Click Finish. The changes made in your Copy Storefront will carry over into the original without taking it offline.
Copy a Storefront to Create a New one
When creating a new Storefront, you can copy an existing storefront to duplicate all applied settings.
- In the FastSpring App, navigate to the Storefronts menu > Web Storefronts or Popup Storefronts.
- In the list of Storefronts, find the Storefront you want to copy and select More > Copy.
- In the copy window, select your preferences
- To Existing Storefront: select an option from the drop-down if you want to completely replace an existing Storefront.
- To New Storefront URL: enter a name without spaces for the new storefront web address.
- Click Finish.
All the settings for the source Storefront are copied. The new Storefront will not be Live until you click the drop-down on the right side of the Storefront listing and select Offline > Switch to Online.