Product Tax Category
FastSpring has partnered with a third party service to monitor global tax rates.
As of September 2020, products are now taxed at more accurate rates validated by a global tax monitoring service. In some cases, tax rates for your products will change slightly to be compliant or become eligible for tax-exemption in certain regions.
As of October 2020, the FastSpring App includes additional product tax categories to select during product configuration.
Product configuration in the FastSpring App includes a questionnaire to select the best tax code for your product. If none of the options match your product, look up the best matching tax code for your product and submit the code to FastSpring Support.
Choose a Product Tax Category
Each product can only have one product tax code applied. FastSpring cannot offer tax advice and is responsible for taxing accurately based on product information that you provide. While we cannot choose the tax code for you, as long as you choose a tax code that is relevant to your product you will be in compliance. If none of the options match your product, look up the best matching tax code for your product and submit the code to FastSpring Support.
- Log into the FastSpring App and select the product to add the Tax Category to.
- Above the Overview section of the Product Details page, look for Product Category This is followed by a link that shows Unspecified (if a tax category has yet to be assigned) or a tax code (if one has been assigned). Click the link.
- In the Product Tax Category dialog, choose the most appropriate selection from the options:
- Application Software License or SaaS
- Cyber Security
- Publication Subscription
- Cloud Data Storage
- Digital Streaming
- Physical Goods
- Tech Support Maintenance
- Depending on your first selection, you will have different additional options to choose from. Select the best options from the choices until you see a Tax Code displayed.
- Click Save.
Edit a Product Tax Category
- In the FastSpring App, navigate to the Products menu and select a product.
- At the top of the product detail page, the current tax category code or Unspecified will appear next to Product Category as a link.
- Click the tax code link to open the Product Tax Category dialog and select the best options for your product until you see a Tax Code displayed.
- Click Save.