Process order returns and refunds.
Order Refund Policy and Chargebacks
When we receive a refund request from a customer, we usually direct the request to Seller support contact so that Sellers handle refund requests. Generally speaking, the only time that we refund an order without consulting you is when a customer who has purchased with a credit card contacts us about a fraudulent charge. In this case, we refund the order to prevent a chargeback. Credit card refunds can generally be done up to six months after an order, but PayPal has a 90-day refund limit.
Chargebacks are different than refunds. A chargeback is a return of funds to a cardholder, forcibly initiated by the card's issuing bank. The cardholder signs an affidavit with their credit card provider claiming they did not make the purchase. The card's issuer then notifies FastSpring of the return of funds after-the-fact; a chargeback is not a request.
Refund an Order
When you process a full refund on an order, FastSpring refunds the buyer and retains the order fee charged on the original transaction. If you need to refund an order fully, you can also do so by posting to the /returns endpoint of the FastSpring API.
- Log in to the dashboard for the store where the order was processed. A search box appears.
- Use the Order Search to find the order you want to refund.
You can search for an order by entering any of the following:
- An exact order reference number (YOU200220-7481-39118)
- A consumer's full email address (email@example.com)
- A consumer's email domain name, beginning with the @ sign (@abc.com)
- A consumer's exact last name ( Anderson) Note: You cannot search by a consumer's full name.
- The first four or more letters of the customer's last name, followed by * (ande*)
- The consumer's exact company name (FastSpring)
- The beginning letters (at least four letters, followed by *) of a company name (Fast*)
- The last four digits of the credit card number used for the order (4321)
- After you have found the order you want to refund, click Return / Refund Order in the Payments and Returns section of the order details.
- Select the Return Type.
- A Full Return refunds the entire purchase price of the order.
- A Line Item Return lets you choose one or more lines from the original order to be fully refunded, without affecting the other lines.
- A Partial Amount Refund refunds a portion of the original price of an order (a customer forgot to enter a coupon code during the order process). Note: Enter the refund amount without sales tax, VAT or GST. FastSpring calculates and refunds applicable taxes automatically based on the value entered.
- Complete the Reason and Notification section of the refund process:
- Choose the Reason Type from the drop-down menu.
- Optionally, enter a Reason Note to provide additional information about the refund, which will be visible to the consumer. The maximum length of the Reason Note is 250 characters.
- Under Customer Notification, choose whether or not you want to send your consumer an email notification about the refund. The default value is Notify Original Contact, which means FastSpring will send the customer an email message.
- Click Next.
- On the next page, review the return details. If the order you are returning includes a subscription product, the Cancel Related Subscriptions checkbox (not pictured) is selected by default. If you want to leave the subscription active despite the refund, click to unselect this checkbox. If everything is correct, click Confirm. Should you need to change anything, click Options and select Cancel from the drop-down menu.
- As soon as you click Confirm, a pop-up appears notifying you that returns are not reversible. Click OK to confirm the return again.