This article describes subscription addons and explains how to use them.
Subscription addons allow you to bind non-subscription products to a subscription product, increasing the recurring billing amount of the subscription. They can be useful if you want to group multiple products with a single, combined recurring billing amount (similar to a bundle).
Subscription addons work in much the same way as standard Product Options, with two key differences:
- Since subscription addons are designed to supplement a subscription, there is no Alternative option.
- When purchased, subscription addons are billed as part of--and on the same schedule as--the primary subscription product.
This feature allows you to suggest, directly in the Web Storefront, other non-subscription products when the customer has selected a given subscription. Any addon selected by the customer becomes part of the resulting subscription, potentially increasing the total amount of the initial purchase and subsequent rebill transactions. Each time FastSpring rebills the customer for the subscription, all associated subscription addons that the customer selected at the time of the initial transaction are also billed, in a single, aggregate charge.
For example, suppose a customer selects a subscription called Example Monthly Subscription with a price of $9.95 per month. You have configured this subscription to offer a subscription addon called Example Addon, which would otherwise be a standalone product costing $4.95.
If the customer selects the subscription addon, the billing information below the subscription title and the Subtotal on the right-hand side of the page are automatically updated accordingly. Rather than $9.95 per month, the customer will be billed $14.90 per month, as illustrated below (highlighting added for demonstration purposes):
In the above example, if the customer were to complete the purchase, he or she would be subscribing to Example Monthly Subscription and Example Addon. The recurring billing amount would be a single charge of $14.90 per month going forward.
Notes About Subscription Addons
- Adding a subscription addon works just like adding a Product Option, except there is no Alternative option. If you need to offer an alternative to the specified subscription, use a Product Option instead.
- For subscription products with a subscription addon, a new field Add-on field appears in the subscription's details, as illustrated here:
- You can edit the addon offer by clicking the field.
- Subscription addons can be added to or removed from an existing subscription instance via the Dashboard or a POST to the /subscriptions endpoint of the FastSpring API. To add them via the Dashboard, you must have already configured the subscription addon on the subscription product's detail page.
- The optional Popup Storefront cart does not support subscription addons at this time. You can display subscription addons in your Web Storefront, or on your own webpages using the Store Builder Library.