With Managed Subscriptions, you can charge your users based on their usage, or a customized basis, through the FastSpring App, or Webhooks and API.
Table of Contents
FastSpring offers Managed Subscriptions, which do not involve automatically scheduled charges. Instead, you have control over when FastSpring charges users for their subscriptions. This is beneficial for usage-based billing. You can trigger the charge via the /subscriptions endpoint, or from the subscription’s details page in the FastSpring App.
At checkout, customers provide their payment information; FastSpring automatically charges this payment method each time you trigger a charge. By default, the customer is charged the same amount that they were initially billed for the subscription, however you can update the pricing by posting to the /subscriptions endpoint. The updated price will reflect in the next triggered billing.
Create a Managed Subscription
When configuring your Subscription, you can set the billing to Managed, which does not trigger any automatic charges.
- In the FastSpring App, navigate to Products > Subscriptions. Create a new subscription, or edit an existing one.
- If you are creating a new subscription, leave the Billing Cycle to the default value, as this will not apply to a Managed Subscription. After you click Create, select the subscription to access its details page.
- In the Pricing section, click Edit. A popup appears.
- Set the Subscription Type to Managed.
- Configure the remaining fields, as desired. When you are finished, click Create.
After you configure the Managed Subscription, the Pricing field on the Subscription Details page will display Adhoc to indicate that this is a Managed Subscription.
Trigger a Billing
With Managed Subscriptions, you can present customers with a unique UI to trigger charges, or you can charge them (with their approval) without requiring any actions from their end. You can do so through the FastSpring API or within the App.
POST to the /subscriptions/charge endpoint of the FastSpring API with the customer's FastSpring subscription ID, and FastSpring takes care of the rest. For more information, see /subscriptions.
- In the FastSpring App, navigate to the Activity page. Select the applicable subscription to access its details page.
- Click Charge on the right side of the subscription details.
The new charge occurs immediately. This will automatically reflect in the Charges section of the Subscription Details page.