Managing Active Subscriptions
Table of Contents
- Edit an Active Subscription
- Prorate when Upgrading and Downgrading Subscriptions
- Declined Rebills
- Cancel or Uncancel a Subscription
- Update Subscription Pricing in Bulk
You can modify the billing and behaviors of active subscriptions through the FastSpring App and the /subscriptions endpoint of the FastSpring API. Navigate to Sales > Events to view active subscriptions. From the subscription’s details page, you can apply changes, such as prorating when upgrading a subscription, canceling / uncanceling a subscription, or modifying the pricing.
Edit an Active Subscription
You can optionally make changes to the configuration of existing subscriptions. If you apply changes to the pricing, the new price will take place on the next billing date, unless you configure a proration. See Prorate when Upgrading or Downgrading a Subscription below for additional information.
- In the FastSpring App, navigate to Sales > Events. Select the active subscription you would like to edit.
- Click on the subscription in the analytics page to access the details page.
- Apply the desired changes. See Edit a Subscription for more information.
- Save your changes. A subscription review page loads, displaying a comparison of the changes. Red items display the original configuration, and green items display the changes applied.
- If you would like to apply additional changes, click Cancel, and repeat the process. When you are satisfied, click Confirm to confirm your changes.
Prorate when Upgrading and Downgrading Subscriptions
If you have upgraded or downgraded a subscription, you can prorate adjustments to immediately bill or refund the difference compared to the previous subscription. However, this option is not available to subscriptions that have been active for more than 6 months. When you click Prorate, a review page will display the breakdown of the prorated charge.
If you have already applied a prorated adjustment to a subscription, you can adjust it again. The review page will display the date of the last prorated charge, and adjustments will be made based on that transaction.
- In the FastSpring App, edit the subscription to reflect the new price.
- After you change the total price, click Prorate in the top, right corner.
- Optionally, view the Proration page to view the breakdown. FastSpring automatically:
- Determines the next renewal date for the subscription
- Calculates the value of the remaining portion of the new subscription
- Creates a single, net refund or charge
- Click Confirm.
The customer is immediately charged for the prorated subscription. If the charge is unsuccessful, the subscription displays an overdue payment. You can control the behavior of subscriptions with overdue billings in the Pricing field on the details page, or by modifying an individual subscription.
Using the API
You can initiate a prorated upgrade or downgrade via POST /subscriptions. The boolean prorate field in your JSON request allows you to control whether or not proration occurs with the upgrade or downgrade.
If an automatic rebill is unsuccessful, it may be due to a decline response from the credit card’s issuing bank. To reduce the occurrence of declined charges due to expired or updated cards, FastSpring automatically requests an update of the payment account token from the issuing bank 5 days before each rebill.
When a rebill is declined, FastSpring automatically sends an email notification to the customer. You can edit the email template at Settings > Customer Emails > Subscription > Charge Failed. See Subscription Pricing for setup instructions.
FastSpring automatically retries the charge 1, 3, and 5 days after a declined rebill. This occurs until the charge is successful, or the overdue subscription is cancelled. If payment overdue notifications are configured, FastSpring retries the charge immediately before sending each notification.
When a customer updates their payment method in the Account Management portal, FastSpring automatically bills the new payment method. If that is declined, the process restarts.
Cancel or Uncancel an Active Subscription
You can easily cancel an existing subscription from the FatsSpring App. After doing so, you have until the next rebill period to uncancel the subscription. Consumers may also uncancel through their Account Management portal. However, if the subscription has been deactivated, you and your customers cannot uncancel it.
To cancel an active subscription:
- Navigate to Sales > Events to access an active subscription.
- From its analytics page, click Cancel in the top, right corner. A popup appears.
- Select whether you would like to cancel the subscription immediately or at the end of the billing cycle. Click Confirm.
- The subscription cancelation date is reflected in the analytics page. Click Un-Cancel to automatically resume the subscription.
Update Subscription Pricing in Bulk
You can use the /subscriptions API endpoint to update the pricing of subscription instances in bulk. Before editing subscription pricing, we recommend that you enable Payment Reminders for your customers to reduce chargebacks.
- Use the /subscriptions endpoint to retrieve all subscriptions with the relevant product path.
- Example: GET /subscriptions?products=product1
- From the API response, record the subscription.ID for each instance.
- Make a POST to the /subscriptions endpoint to update each of the subscription IDs with a new price.